Tuesday 8 November 2016

Hansraj "Wireless"

The Legend of Hansraj “Wireless”
This blog is just an effort of sorts to put on record what all is known by me of this extraordinary person, namely Hansraj “Wireless”. Since he is known by this name Wireless, I won’t put this word in quotes anymore. This is more or less his real name now.
Info about Hansraj Wireless is sketchy in the extreme. Even Wikipedia doesn’t have much on him. Google all you like, and the only info one does get is that he was involved in an abortive plot to assassinate a Viceroy, Lord Irwin by blowing up his train near what is now known as ITO Bridge in Delhi.
So, here’s the precious little that I’ve gathered about Hansraj Wireless:
He was a Punjabi, said to be of the Ramgarhia community. This info is probably correct because Ramgarhias are clever with their hands, adept with tools and machinery of all kinds, and claim Vishwakarma as their patron saint or God.
Hansraj Wireless was probably born in the early 20th Century, or maybe even at the fag end of the 19th. He was a self taught enthusiast in the then fairly new technology of electricity, and the even newer science of electronics. He was a genius with electronic circuits and dabbled in radio, wireless and remote control. Only, in those days the term Remote Control wasn’t in vogue, the accepted phrase being Radio Control. This talent of his explains his nickname Wireless. This is quite remarkable considering that few parts of India even had electricity.
Since he dabbled in remote control circuits, it seems the revolutionaries drew him to their fold and got him to rig up a circuit for blowing up the VIP train. The explosives exploded all right, but they seem to have been of insufficient power and the Viceroy survived.
Hansraj thereafter formed (or joined) a revolutionary group in Punjab called the Atishi Chakkar (Fiery Circle). But this soon broke up after an abortive attempt to assassinate the Punjab Governor. And then, according to a Pakistani blog http://knowmeknowsindh.blogspot.in/2016/05/freedom-fighter-hansraj-wireless-in.html he fled to Sindh Province, where he continued his revolutionary activities. Then he was arrested and jailed in Hyderabad (Sindh). According to this blog, the case of Hansraj Wireless was discussed at length in the Sindh Legislative Assembly. Then, it appears that he was released on health grounds and promising to eschew violence. Interestingly, the proceedings of the Assembly constantly refer to him as Hansraj (Wireless).
After that Hansraj Wireless drops off the radar. Then he re-surfaces in the early ’Forties. He now becomes a showman exhibiting his extraordinary gadgets to a paying audience. Patent? He never applied for one, or if he did, he was never granted one. His gadgets ranged from the mundane radio-telephony to various contraptions operated by remote control.

In the mid Forties, about 1944 or 1945, he had his show in Lahore. Father, who was a college student there, didn’t go, but his good friend, late Shri Attar Singh did. He came back full of wonder at all the things he had seen. He described an automatic shoe polishing machine which polished both your shoes, but clamped a tight hold over the second foot until the owner of the foot had put in the requisite coin in the slot. Another device was an electric bulb which lit up or went off by Hansraj standing at a distance and signalling with a hand. Like a good showman, he would open his palm and raise the hand, and the bulb would come on. Then he would lower the hand and close the palm; the bulb would go off. Infra-red sensors were not exactly in use use in those days. So how did he do it? Yet another contrivance was a recording device which recorded sound on a spool of thread (probably coated with some magnetic material. One must remember that in those days magnetic recording tape was unheard of. The nearest thing in the market was a wire recorder, which did the recording on a steel wire drawn at quite high speed over the magnetic sensor.

Then India became independent and Hansraj Wireless started doing the fairgrounds circuit in independent India, mostly in Punjab. He took his show from one important fair in North India to the next. But by now he seems to have gotten a bit tired and jaded. Shri Chand Kishore, who lives in Kullu, said that he has seen his show when it came to town sometime in the 1950s. It was a full-fledged show of three hours; entry by ticket. Shri Chand Kishore also describes the same shoe polishing machine which Sh. Attar Singh had seen about a decade back. Apart from that, Hansraj Wireless demonstrated another trick. A motor car drove up after Hansraj Wireless had set up his apparatus. As soon as Hansraj Wireless, sitting on the sidelines pressed a button, the engine went dead and the car came to a halt. Hansraj Wireless claimed that he had made the device which made the ignition coil (which makes the spark plugs of the petrol engine to burn the fuel) go dead. Now it’s hard to say if he really did that or it was a trick car, which one might expect from a fairground conjurer. And yes, there was no wire or anything physical contact between Hansraj Wireless’s apparatus and the car.
I grew up hearing this man’s name off and on but never got to know any more about him. I know a person in Pathankot, a Ramgarhia Sikh, who claims that Hansraj Wireless was related to him in some way. He says that Hansraj Wireless died sometime in the Sixties leaving a daughter. Before dying, my friend claims, Hansraj Wireless built a house for her near a powerline. He had rigged up some circuitry which supplied the house with free electricity by induction from the overhead lines.

Thus, all the info that I’ve gathered so far is hearsay. No records, but maybe in some old newspaper archives there might be news items about Hansraj Wireless. I’ll be interested to know if folks can add to the above or correct it if wrong.

27 comments:

  1. Sir, I have seen his show in Chandigarh, at Tagore Theater, in the early to mid 60 s. Most of the information you have put seems correct, It was paid show, and my friend and I were inspired by his gadgets. We made a few of our own and made a money on it. One was electric cigarette lighter, replacing the burning twine in the Paan Shops in Chandigarh. Some of our other class mates also were successful making some nice devices. My friend and I graduated to doing more and more stuff as a part time gig. We earned a good pocket money. I am very glad you wrote this beautiful article on him. regards
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW: I have seen his foot polish machine, in reality in the show, Mr. Hansraj Wireless was great inspiration in my life, I left for Canada, soon I be here fifty years. I inspired my both sons to electrical engineers here and make gadgets like Mr. Hans Raj Wireless, which one guy did. I must admit Mr. Hans Raj show inspired me in my early childhood, I always thought about him.
    Regards.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, I'm deeply grateful for your feedback. This adds to the information about Hansraj Wireless.

      Delete
  3. myself too inspired in my school time with his crystal radio. Specialy in a matchbox size Radio. Even today I enjoy tinkering such Radio with my grand children. Radio out of scrap without Batery and electricity. Regards
    Kuljas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this information. Every piece which is added makes the picture a bit more fuller.

      Delete
  4. I feel so proud today. Shri Hansraj Wirelesss was my grandfather. I request you all if you have his autobiography then please let me know. My mother (his daughter ) often remembers him. My contact number is 9886504890

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, I'm really very sorry for replying so late. Fact is I hadn't opened this blog for a long while. It will be a wonderful chance to compile this extraordinary man's biography!

      Delete
  5. I feel so proud today. Shri Hansraj Wirelesss was my grandfather. I request you all if you have his autobiography then please let me know. My mother (his daughter ) often remembers him. My contact number is 9886504890

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather had his autobiography ,but he is no more.I'll try to find his books.

      Delete
    2. Sir do contact me through authorkartiksharma@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Inventions made by this genius hold important place in domain of science...these must be scrambled from all possible sources, and a compendium be made of these...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an intellectual he was ! I watched his show in mid 50s at my school and was very much impressed by his innovations like boot polished machine, light bulbs turning on by clapping and video intercom in those days. Alas somebody recognized that lost soul and he would be an innovative scientist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to accompany my mother to his sector 21, Chandigarh, residence in late 70's where she used to learn art forms using copper wire from him. By chance i was remembering him today after reading an article in Hindustan Times about an innovation by Amity girls and searched the google about him and found this blog about him. I clearly remember when we used to ring his door bell, no one used to open that but the door would open as if by remote control. He was very old then but full of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does anyone have a photograph of this genius?

      Delete
    2. Thank you for filling up a glaring gap in the information about Hansraj Wireless. My friend in Pathsnkot was under the impression that he died in the 1960s. But you have met him in person in the late 1970s!

      Delete
  9. I used to learn painting from hansrajji
    Vnice man he taught painting free of cost. In1977 I gotmarried and moved to jaipur after that I nevermethim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often searched name Hansraj Wireless name after the advent of Internet. However I never used to find anything.
    I was very happy to have found it today.
    I came to know about him as my Grand Father who had a Confectionery factory in Karachi was his hide out. I was also told that the factory was also used to make bombs on the sly for Freedom Fighters.
    Further, my maternal uncle who was young then was also interested in electrical gadgets, and as a Child i was told by my mother that once he made a radio in a earthen pitcher.
    I happened to read an article (I think it must have been written by Hansraj Wireless only, because it seems he must have been living then) when I was very young and I happened to read the name of my Maternal Grandfather in that (Seth Munna Lal) where he specifically mentioned about staying there. I immediately showed it to my mother. In those days it was a kind of honor to have some of relatives name appear in newspaper particularly as a child.

    In fact my maternal uncle was supposed to be an expert also in making bombs during those days besides being a good photographer also the proofs of which I still own.
    If someone can give more information about him, I would be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, this is most valuable information that you have furnished. Mine was a humble contribution to make the name of the genius better known.

      But thanks to the comments which continue to add up, we all, that is, this blogger and the individuals posting comments, are compiling his biography by "crowd funding" of information.

      Delete
  11. My grandfather Shri Sukhdev Kumar met him personally.Shri Hansraj ji also gave him his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir so contact me through authorkartiksharma@gmail.com

      Delete
  12. Shri Hansraj ji also mentioned my grandfather 's name in his book as a gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir, please tell us about the name of the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I too was one of his student in 1971। Pl let me know the name of the book।

      Delete
  14. From Selected Works of JL Nehru, Vol 4, Second Series (page 146)

    Letter To Syama Prasad Mookerjee
    New Delhi 16 January 1948

    My dear Dr. Mookerjee,
    I had a visit today from Hansraj Wireless* as he calls himself. He told me that you had referred him to the Custodian of Evacuee Property in Delhi so that he might be able to get some workshop for manufacturing various articles of his invention. He did not seem to have had much success there.
    Hansraj seems to me to be a man of some talent and considerable inventive capacity. Whether this can be turned to practical account or not I cannot say. But he certainly deserves encouragement not from a personal point of view but from the public point of view. He says that he can employ three or four thousand persons in his factory once it gets going. This may be an exaggeration. But there may also be some truth in it.
    Apart from what Hansraj said, it seems to me desirable either for your Ministry or for the Relief Ministry to take one of the big workshops that has been vacated and run it as a Government concern. You could engage Hansraj as an expert to advise you or you may engage several persons includ- ing Hansraj. It would be worthwhile giving him some scope and to watch results. If he fails it is some little loss. If he succeeds then we have not only produced something worthwhile but also given employment to a number of refugees. There is an advantage about this also in the sense that if Gov- ernment takes possession of a vacated workshop it will hold it in trust for the owner as decided by the Inter-Dominion Conferences. To give it to a private person may not be in consonance with those decisions.
    I suggest therefore that you might have this matter investigated by your advisers and approach the Custodian of Evacuee Property on the subject. I am sending copies of this letter to Neogy and the Custodian.
    Yours sincerely, Jawaharlal Nehru

    ReplyDelete
  15. The information on Hansraj Wireless continues to add up in the comments section!

    ReplyDelete